HDMI CEC is an old way to connect all your devices with HDMI. It allows up to 15 devices to communicate with each other. It creates a seamless experience of home theatre.
CEC stands for Consumer Electronic Controls. HDMI CEC would allow you to mix the settings of your home devices with one remote controller. You might need to use the device separately for its unique features, but most modern devices are supported by HDMI CEC. With it, you can make playback and menu selection synchronized across your home devices.
HDMI CEC can simplify your home theatre systems and is easier to set up than expected. There are a few things you should be aware of before using HDMI CEC in your system.
HDMI CEC Features
HDMI CEC provides 5modern features you would find on any remote controller. HDMI CEC could transmit the information for power, playback, audio, and menu selection. Now, we do not need to switch between remotes. We also don’t need to switch between devices on a universal remote. Now, Only one remote device could control all of the devices.
It is slightly different from universal remote. Universal remotes are programmed with wireless signal patterns of consumer products. Universal remotes could directly control the device it is communicating with.
HDMI CEC Diagram: How HDMI CEC Works?
HDMI CEC uses any of your device’s remotes to control the whole system. If you are using the remote from your TV to control your DVD player, your remote will communicate with your TV to send a CEC signal via your HDMI cable to the DVD player. It was just an example.
The remote you are using could effectively control other devices it is connected to. Though your device is asleep and the HDML circuitry is disabled or completely off, they can control the device! Because CEC is a completely different electrical signal from the other HDMIs control.
There are many features that HDMI CEC could enable. Let’s see:
Deck Control: Play, Stop, Rewind, etc.
Deck control concedes to you the common playback commands (play, stop, rewind, etc.) for your playback devices, whether Blu-ray players, camcorders, etc.
System Audio Control
The most boring part of setting up this home theatre system is, calibrate the volume of all your reproductive devices to be roughly equal across the devices. But, HDMI CEC could easily eliminate the problem by adding an audio control for the entire system. It means one volume control for your entire system.
Okay, imagine you just finished watching the last episode of your favorite show. Now, you want to play one of your favorite movies. You know, the one that somehow no streaming services has picked up. So you have to pop it in your DVD player, change the source, and press play.
Not with HDMI CEC. With One-Touch Play, HDMI CEC playback devices will automatically switch the TV source on the play. No more navigating input source menus.
Power On and Power Off
When it is about home theatre systems, you could use three devices at a time. You have to power each device up separately whenever you want to use them and power them down separately when you have done it.
With HDMI CEC, that is a thing of the past. The system standby feature permits your standby or power button to put all of your devices in standby mode.
One-touch record is one kind of fun feature. It allows you to record whatever is playing on your display device to a selected recording device—no more routing your sources through a recording device to the display device. With HDMI CEC, it’s all connected.
Commercial Names for HDMI CEC
HDMI CEC goes by several commercial names, and each of them technically shows a separate menu. But the core system of having a designated pin in the HDMI plug is indifferent.
Let’s see what “Trade Name” they used to confuse us.
Here are they:
- AOC: E-link
- Hitachi: HDMI-CEC (Thank you, Hitachi!)
- LG: SimpLink
- Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI
- Onkyo: RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
- Panasonic: HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link
- Philips: EasyLink
- Pioneer: Kuro Link
- Runco International: RuncoLink
- Samsung: Anynet+
- Sharp: Aquos Link
- Sony: BRAVIA Sync
- Toshiba: CE-Link or Regza Link
- Vizio: CEC
Not all commercial names are inventive, such as Hitachi used HDMI-CEC or Vizio used CEC. These commercial names incorporate the word link. For example, Aquos Link, BRAVIA Link, CE-Link, EasyLink, SimpLink, etc. Although some have unique names like Samsung used Anynet+ and Roku used 1-Touch-Play.
Pros and Cons of HDMI CEC
There are some pros to HDMI CEC and cons. While the pros outnumber the cons, there may be instances where you would disable HDMI CEC or update your system to one that uses eARC–a newer standard that improves upon HDMI CEC’s features while eradicating the need for setup.
There are several advantages of HDMI CEC. As I mentioned, it allows for several global controls, allowing you to integrate your home theatre system more seamlessly.
Additionally, HDMI CEC works with HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel). It works to reduce the number of cables necessary to connect multiple devices at once.
In short, HDMI ARC permits audio to travel in both directions. It decreases the number of cables you have to connect with an external source like a Blu-ray player to a television and A/V receiver.
Your devices need HDMI ARC ports to take benefits of HDMI ARC. Usually, configuring devices for HDMI CEC enables HDMI ARC along with it. But to be sure, check your manual book.
The principal drawback to HDMI CEC is the limitation of HDMI ARC to show the full quality surround sound. HDMI-ARC could transmit uncompress stereo audio. It also could compress 5.1 surround sound audio.
If you need better sound quality, you have to disable HDMI CEC and ARC on your devices. You could also upgrade to devices that support HDMI eARC. HDMI eARC is capable of delivering 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed audio. It also can handle better high definition formats.
Setting Up HDMI CEC
Setting up an HDMI CEC differs from device to device. You could find HDMI CEC settings in the sound settings or system settings of the device’s settings.
You need to configure the HDMI CEC settings for each device you are willing to connect with HDMI CEC. If you update your system to HDMI 2.1a ports, HDMI eARC will automatically be enabled. If elements aren’t compatible with HDMI eARC, they will revert to standard HDMI ARC (with all the drawbacks previously showed).
How to Enable CEC on Popular TVs
To make this thing even more confusing, manufacturers often don’t call this feature “HDMI-CEC.” Manufacturers love to call this thing in their own branded name, even though it’s an interoperable standard.
Often would not see “HDMI-CEC” printed on a specifications list. Rather, you’ll see a branded “trade name.” These all are Manufacturers branded trade name of HDMI-CEC, so they exist only to confuse customers. Remember that, If your TV has any of these features, it supports HDMI-CEC.
Enabling HDMI ARC and CEC could sound different, but they follow the same steps. Go to your device settings, turn on HDMI ARC, and then you may or may not need to discover devices.
Here, we will review how to set up HDMI ARC and CEC on five popular TV brands.
LG- With LG TVs, click the home button an23 d go to Settings. Select Sound and then Sound Settings. From here, turn ARC Mo, de to the ON position, and turn the TV Speaker to OFF.
Vizio- Select System from the menu. Then select the CEC. It will indicate you to select “Enable,” and it will say, System Audio Control selects On. Then, select the Device Discovery option. Then wait for your TV to discover the other connected devices.
Sony- From home, go to the menu. Then go to Settings. Then System Settings. From here, select the Set Up option, then select the AV Set Up option. Be sure that the speaker settings are set to Audio Out. Now go back to the Set Up menu again. Then click BRAVIA Sync. Now, select BRAVIA Synced Devices List.
TCL w/ Roku- Select Settings from the Home menu. Then select system. Select Control Other Devices (CEC) option and enable HDMI ARC and System Audio Control.
Samsung- Select the system from the menu, and then turn Anynet+ to the ON position.
You will also need to enable HDMI ARC on your A/V receiver or soundbar. You need to turn your TV to the input setting the audio device is connected to for doing this.
From here, you must navigate the settings menu of the audio device to enable HDMI ARC and CEC, which again may be referred to by different names.
In some instances, particularly with certain soundbars (most notably Sonos), you will need to download an app to set the device up for HDMI ARC. Download the app onto your phone and follow the instructions.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of HDMI Cables:
- 4K HDMI Cable: Male to Male HDMI Cable Supports 4K Video @ 60Hz, 2K, 1080P, 48 bit/px HDR color depth, TrueHD 7.1, Audio Return Channel (ARC) & Ethernet
- Premium Quality HDMI Cable: This HDMI cable has 30WG copper wire, triple tin shielded in a double braided premium nylon with gold plated corrosion resistant connectors for guaranteed top tier image & sound
- Full Compatibility: Ultra high speed 4K HDMI cable supports 18Gbps transfer and is backwards compatible with earlier versions of HDMI cable (1.3/1.4/2.0/2.0a) NOT for 8K
- Universal HDMI Cable: Works with all of your HDMI devices. Compatible with Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS5, PS4, XBox One, Nintendo Switch, computer, laptop, monitor, projector and more. An essential HDMI cable for all of your home & office devices
- 10 Feet 1 Pack: One 10 ft HDMI cable (3 meters) thickness 0.24 inches (6 mm)
- IN THE BOX: 3-foot nylon braided HDMI cable (A Male to A Male) for connecting 2 HDMI-enabled devices
- DEVICE COMPATIBILITY: Ideal for connecting Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and computers to TVs, displays, and A/V receivers
- 4K VIDEO: Meets HDMI standards 4K video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48-bit/px color depth; also supports 3D, ARC, and bandwidth up to 18 Gbps
- BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE: Works with earlier versions to allow for use with a wide range of HDMI-enabled devices
- ETHERNET READY: Built-in Ethernet allows for sharing an Internet connection among multiple devices (no need for a separate Ethernet cable)
- 4K HDMI Cable: JSAUX HDMI-Cable supports 18Gbps high bandwidth, Mirror & Extend mode, Ultra HD 4K(2160p), QHD 2K(1440P), FHD 1080p, HD 720P, HDCP 2.2, 48-Bit Deep Color HDR, Audio Return Channel(ARC), CEC, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio, 3D, Ethernet and Hot plugging
- Full Compatibility: HDMI Cables Male to Male Supports 4K Video @ 60Hz (4:4:4), Backward compatible with 2K @165Hz (4:4:4), 2K @ 60Hz(4:4:4), 1080p @ 240Hz, and HD 720p. Earlier versions of HDMI cable (1.3/1.4/2.0/2.0a)
- Superior Design: This HDMI cable has 28AWG copper wire, triple tin shielded in a double braided premium nylon with gold plated corrosion resistant connectors for guaranteed top tier image & sound.
- Universal HDMI Cable: Compatible with all of your HDMI devices. Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS5, PS4, XBox One, Nintendo Switch, computer, laptop, monitor, projector and more. Indispensable hdmi cables for home and office equipment.
- 6 Feet 2-Pack: The perfect length, with the combination of two outfits, allows you to have more choices in application scenarios without worrying about usage issues.
- 【A Plug & Play Solution】Stream 4K content from your phone, tablet, laptop and desktop computer to bigger displays like monitor, TV, projector with high speed. Supports UHD. HDCP compliant. No driver needed, no more fear for unstable WiFi, no time wasted. Give you clear and vivid 4K@30Hz high resolution, backward compatible with 1440P@60hz, 1080P@120hz. *Uni-directional, only from USB-C host device to HDMI displays
- 【Top-Notch Quality】Gold-plated connectors & aluminum casing for better heat dissipation, ensuring secure high-speed data transmission free from interference. Thicker copper wire distinctively minimizes signal loss with maximum conductivity. Fit snugly.
- 【Design in Details】Streamlined metal pieces seamlessly connected, perfect length for home office setup and extra velcro tie for travel. Stylish gray metallic case with a hue of blue. User-friendly Strain Relief for smooth plug-unplug. Secure latch-free style that avoids damaging connectors. Don’t need to pay extra care -Nylon braided cover, no worries for fraying, heating, kinking. Non-slip thumb grip, chill when plug.
- 【Universal Compatibility】Pushing productivity, sharing ideas, or chilling with Netflix/ Hulu/ iTunes / Disney+ / HBO Max. Compatible for Apple MacBook Pro 2016-2020, iMac 2017-2020, MacBook Air 2018-2020iPad Pro 2020, Surface Book 2 / 3, Surface Laptop 3, , Dell XPS 15/13, HP Chromebook x360, Samsung Galaxy S20S10/S9/S8, Note 10/9/8, LG V40/V35/V30/V20, and more USB C devices, check the listing
- 【WARRKY】is dedicated to introducing superb-quality products that are sophisticatedly designed and reasonably priced for providing the best solutions to connect your work and life. Consult for fast and responsible support within 18hrs!
- 【USB-C to 4K HDMI Cable】Use the uni Type-C to HDMI Cable with your USB-C device to view sporting events, movies, video games, and photos/albums directly on your HDMI-equipped monitor/display/TV - never again miss the game-winning touchdown or your favorite TV episodes. Direct HDMI cable connection from your smartphone to TV means no more casting issues due to unstable WiFi.
- 【Compatible & Reliable HDMI Cable】Plug-&-Play, like a standard 4K HDMI cable - no software or drivers required. Connect one or two HDMI monitors/displays at up to 4K@60Hz resolution. Compatible with HDMI-equipped TVs/Monitors/Projectors for both video and audio transfer.
- 【Sturdy & Long-Lasting Design】Braided nylon cable for extra durability and user-friendly non-slip grips for easier plugging & unplugging. Premium aluminum alloy casing for better heat dissipation. High-quality USB-C connector provides snug connection with your devices for stable signal transfer.
- 【Thunderbolt 3/4 Compatible】Compatible with MacBook Pro 16''/15”/13'' (2021/2020/2019/2018/2017), MacBook (2017/2016/2015), iPad Pro (2021/2020/2018), Mac Mini (2018), iMac (2017); Surface Book 2; Galaxy Book, Galaxy S21/S20/S10/S9; Dell XPS 15/13; Chromebook, Chromebook Pixel, Pixel Slate, Pixelbook Go, and others (see detailed product description section).
- 【Enjoy Lifelike 4K Video】You can enjoy sports events, movies, gaming on a larger screen. Get clear smooth pictures with 4k (3840 x 2160) @30Hz resolution(supports HDR). A stable signal transmission guarantees an even and clear picture quality. Note: Only a few applications can be used for the full screen display for the iPad Pro 2018.
- 【Plug & Play】No driver or software required, just plug and play. Allow you to connect one even two HDMI monitors/displays with this USB C to HDMI cable, up to 4K@30Hz resolution. The perfect solution for your USB-C Devices. Compatible with HDMI-enabled TVs/Monitors/Projectors for both video and audio transfer.
- 【Design in Details】Compact and light, Braided nylon cable for extra durability. C port is designed with indicator light. Premium aluminum housing for better heat dissipation. Compact design fits snugly with the USB C Ports on your devices, better signal transmission protection. No worries for unstable WiFi, no time wasted.
- 【Wide Compatibility】Compatible with MacBook Pro 2020/2019/2018/2017, iPad Air 2020, MacMini 2018, iPad Pro 2021/2020/2018, iMac 2018/2017, MacBook 2019/2018/2017/2016/2015, Surface Book 2, Samsung Galaxy S20, S20 Plus, S20 Ultra, S10/S9/S8, Note 9/8, Huawei P40/30/20/10, Pixelbook, Dell XPS 15/13, Galaxy Book, Chromebook/Pixel, and more (see details below). NOT support Switch.
- 【What You Get】uni 6ft USB C to HDMI cable with hassle-free warranty and 24/7 customer service. Please rest assured we stand behind our products and customers.
- 【Top Technology----8K@60HZ HDMI Cable】 This 8K HDMI Cable uses the most cutting-edge technology, is compatible with 8K@60HZ and 4K@120HZ, clearly displays every particle, and accurately processes every signal source. With 8K HDMI's unique dynamic HDR and 12 Bit color processing technology, each scene of the video is every frame, with more ideal depth, brightness, detail, contrast and wider color gamut.
- 【Upgrade Revolution----HDMI 2.1】 Highwings 8K HDMI Cable conforms to the standard HDMI 2.1 version. Compared with HDMI 2.0, its transmission speed has a qualitative leap, from 18Gbps to 48Gbps (6GB/s) directly, and there will no longer be stuck or dropped frames when watching video from now on. Support eARC, can achieve more advanced audio signal control capabilities. It is also backward compatible with HDMI 2.0b/2.0a/1.4/1.3/1.2/1.1 versions
- 【HDMI Cable For Game Enthusiasts】 This HDMI Cable is not limited to 4K@60HZ, it can break through 4K and achieve 8K ultra-high image quality. It can also achieve a super smooth picture of 4K@120HZ. Its latest game mode supports variable refresh rate, maximizes the value of the graphics card and CPU, and is more accurate in the processing of rendered images. When the scene is switched, the refresh rate will change accordingly to obtain a smoother and more detailed picture.
- 【Reinforced classic high-quality materials】 This 8K HDMI Cable uses Highwings' most popular classic style, with a new smart chip, making it reach an unprecedented height. The strength of the aluminum alloy shell and the tail's anti-bending design has been upgraded to make it more durable. The plug part is still made of 24K gold-plated material, which accurately transmits signals. The military grade tensile nylon material also greatly extends its life.
- 【The ultimate perfectionist】 This HDMI 8K cable was made at the factory. Every cable and even every part has been put through rigorous testing. We've combined every flawless part into a perfect 8K HDMI cable. Then pass the performance tests in the laboratory and present them to you after passing the exam.
- HDMI A Male to A Male Cable: Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K video and Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- Connects Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS4, PS3, XBox One, Xbox 360, computers and other HDMI-enabled devices to TVs, displays, A/V receivers and more
- Cable allows you to share an Internet connection among multiple devices without the need for a separate Ethernet cable
- Meets HDMI standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions.
- Cable Length: 10 feet (3 meters)
- IN THE BOX: 6-foot Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable
- CONVENIENT: Transmits audio and video from computer or tablet to HD display
- VIDEO: Supports video resolutions up to 1080p
- DURABLE DESIGN: Gold-plated connectors, bare copper conductors, and foil-and-braid shielding for strength and reliable connectivity
- USER FRIENDLY: Easy-grip treads for a secure hold
- Cable length: 2m / 6.5ft
- Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable Certified (w/ Hologram Sticker)
- 48Gbps bandwidth for latest features HDR, HDCP 2.2 & 2.3, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision
- 8K60, 4K120 & up to 10K resolution, Dynamic HDR, eARC, ALLM, QFT, QMS, VRR
- Backward compatible with earlier versions of HDMI and can be used with any HDMI devices.
You May Also Like…
- 10 Best Soundbars with Built In Subwoofers
- Where to Place Subwoofer with Soundbar: Subwoofer Placement
- Amplifier vs Receiver: Is Amplifier Same as Receiver?
- Top 11 Best Soundbars without Subwoofers
- The 4 Sign and Symptom of Bad HDMI Cable
Last update on 2022-02-05